[PythonCE] wxPython for CE

Brian Retford brian at cococorp.com
Fri Apr 22 18:52:12 CEST 2005

It's that time again - I've made a lot of progress on reducing the
footprint of my wxPython CE port, I'm working on getting the source
code integrated to the mainline, here's an x-post from the wxPython dev
list - any interest?

Some people may remember this from many months ago, but I've ported
wxPython to WinCE and we've been using it very successfully for a
couple of months. There have been a lot of challenges that have come
up. I'd like to get all of my changes into some form that would be
useful to the community (right now it is not much more than a large
collection of hacks). What would the best way to do this be? Some of my
concerns:

WinCE has a retarded memory architecture:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/
dncenet/html/advmemmgmt.asp

It wastes approx. 32kb of a 32mb virtual address space per dll loaded.
Because of this and obvious memory concerns, I collapsed my wxPython
back into one module, _core.pyd. The changes necessary to do so were
not too hard and I think they could be integrated into the mainline
(-monolithic or something).

I have a verison of setup.h from wxwidgets that strips out a ton of
stuff (each user might want a different set) so I modified the .i's to
have #if's for most of wxwidgets features - is this something you
(Robin) would be interested in integrating?

Distutils - I have a totally hacked copy of distutils to support eVC
instead of MSW, I'd need to get this in some better form and then?
redistribute with wxpy? not sure here...

I also have some binaries I'd be happy to release, but some people
might find them lacking (no jpeg support (only png), missing lots of
advanced wx controls (no wx html, etc)). If there's interest I'll
gladly put it up somewhere. It's similar to what I released many months
ago, but much reduced in footprint.

Brian Retford
Chief Architect
Coco Communications