[PythonCE] graphical libs for pocket pc

Paul Sokolovsky pfalcon at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 8 22:37:31 CEST 2004

Hello Mark,

ME> What I'd *really* like to see is PyGame (the photocaptioning app I
ME> want to port uses pygame and not much else), but that would need an
ME> SDL port and a bunch of other underlying details (and I'm using python
ME> on wince so that I can *avoid* knowing too many wince details :-)

ME> Of course, right now I'm stuck on the python shell only providing
ME> sys.stdout and not sys.stdin - I should sit down and make the jump
ME> directly to tkinter, but was hoping to take smaller "baby steps" in
ME> coding on here.  (It was very cool to be able to "import urllib" and
ME> fetch a real web page from my 4155! I'm just trying to crawl upwards
ME> from there, and haven't used tkinter on unix either...)

    Continuing my evangelism about arm-wince-gcc, instead of trying to
ride tkinter just to get stdin (which won't work that great on PPC I'm
afraid), you could make a normal python port with it (arm-wince-gcc),
running under PocketConsole. That would give you real stdin without
any ppc-shell hacks (and greater win32 compatibility). Just my 2 cents.

P.S.
I'd love to do it myself, but unfortunately, now I'm stuck with
application-level development for PPC (in language other than Python
as it was ruled out because of under-developedness).

--
Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:pfalcon at users.sourceforge.net