[PythonCE] PocketPC Python

Michael Foord Michael.Foord@tbsmerchants.co.uk
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:17:43 +0100

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
[snip...]
  <pre wrap="">
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">I assume it is as the page at Mukworks that I downloaded the
distribution from points to here ! I'm just surprised its quiet :-)
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
I think, perhaps, most Pocket PC devices are sitting in desk drawers these days.

Certainly I almost never use my iPaq. I was just going to say, oh its a pretty good
clock on my desk in the cradle, but now I note its 20 minutes fast!
  </pre>
:-)<br>
I think the handheld community is pretty active - there are certainly lots
of new ones being bought and new models released.<br>
  <pre wrap="">
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">First a question (ok so I could just *try it* :-).
Will it work with the 'program files' on the storage card ? That would
save me 8meg of onboard memory.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
I've read on this list that others have done this and it works. I don't have an external
storage card so I've never been able to test it.
  </pre>
I'll let you know if it works without modification :-)<br>
  <pre wrap="">
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">It doesn't escapethe spaces in  filenames it is passed.
So associating .py with it and then double clicking on e.g. test.py in
"My Documents\" fails with the error can't find 'My '.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
This is probably a limitation of the argv parsing on CE (I assume you're talking about
CE).
  </pre>
Oh.... <br>
Its pocketPC 2002<br>
  <pre wrap="">

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">If it is running in memory doubleclicking an associated file *ignores*
the filename (along with any commandline parameters you've just
typed).....
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
No surprise here, the Pocket PC OS only allows one instance of an executable to run
at a time. It's not clear to me what gets called in the running program to say "oh hey,
they just clicked this file too ..". You have any ideas?

  </pre>
*Well* - you could put the program in a 'wrapper' that first checks if theres
a version in memory... if there is it kills it (or requests it to die :-)
and *then* it calls python.exe ... call it launcher.exe or something. It
could even check the filenames and escape them with ""....<br>
  <pre wrap="">
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">In idle (opr whatever its called !) - long lines (error mesgs etc)
aren't displayed properly. You can cut and paste them ok to bring up the
horizontal slider bar... but when its first printed there's no slider
bar to read them.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
You might be able to fix this in the main startup script that is the 'shell', I think its
ceshell.py or maybe ppceshell.py

  </pre>
Thanks for the reply.<br>
Fuzzyman<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol">--
Michael Foord
Sales Daventry Depot
TBS Builders Merchants Ltd
Hackwood Road
Daventry
Northants
NN11 4ES
Tel : 01327 877378, Fax : 01327 300598, Mobile : 07740 774204
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.TBSMerchants.co.uk">http://www.TBSMerchants.co.uk</a>

---

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.Voidspace.org.uk">http://www.Voidspace.org.uk</a>
The Place where headspace meets cyberspace. Online resource site - covering science, technology, computing, cyberpunk, psychology, spirituality, fiction and more.

---
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.learnlandrover.com">http://www.learnlandrover.com</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.fuchsiashockz.co.uk">http://www.fuchsiashockz.co.uk</a>
---

Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow talent
 to the dark place where it leads. -Erica Jong
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy.
         -Milan Kundera

-----

This email is confidential &amp; intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.  Any views presented are solely those of the author &amp; do not necessarily represent those of Towcester Building Supplies.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error &amp; that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.
Any files attached to this email will have been checked with virus software before transmission. However, you should carry out your own virus check before opening any attachment.
Towcester Building Supplies accepts no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by software viruses. </pre>