[PythonCE] XScale report

Telion telionce@yahoo.com
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 09:54:09 -0800 (PST)

--- Vincent Legoll <vlegoll@apsydev.com> wrote:
> > All builds of PythonCE2.2+ are compiled with eVC.
>
> Argh... BTW, is the full procedure documented
> somewhere ? I'm not even a newbie wrt eVC...

Here is some info.
http://www.murkworks.com/Research/Python/PythonCE/PythonCEWiki/DevelopmentInfo

> > I'm not sure at all if you can build with gcc.
> > Probably, you may need to modify Python
> > source code, too.
>
> But python already builds properly with gcc, under linux
> for example ;-) So the changes won't need to be so large,
> I hope...

I'm talking about CE.
You will have to work a lot, I guess.
But if you are good, it may take only a few weeks.
So, I can't say if it is going to be easy for you or not.

For me, it wood take many many months, because I don't have
experience on that area.

> > But if you can make it, that may eliminate some
> > MicroSoft specific problems.
>
> I got binutils & gcc built targetting arm-wince-pe, but
> currently having problems with libc (only tried newlib...)

Did you try rahter simple program to begin with?

> > I'm a little fed up with MS marketing strategy and
> > thinking about buying Linux PDA.
> > Then I can forget about lots of rather stupid problems.
>
> I think I'll go with Linux on my CE device when possible
> but since it's a recent one, I don't think it's ready yet...
>
> --
> Vince

I'll buy something with Linux already installed.
That way, I don't have to pay for MS OS I don't need.

There are several choices already.
Python is runnning on some of them, I think.

=====
Telion
- telionce@yahoo.com -
http://pages.ccapcable.com/lac/PythonCE.html