[PythonCAD] slicing up a 2D dxf

Aaron Hoover ahoover at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 22 22:14:01 CEST 2009

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, so if I'm way off
base, maybe you could direct me to a better resource...

I have a large dxf file (eg. 16"x12") that I'd like to break up into a
series of "tile" dxf files (eg. 3in x 3in) due to some limitations of
the machine tool I'll be using to cut out the parts. Ideally, I'd like
to be able to this using Python - can anyone recommend an approach to
tackling this problem? Even if I had to convert to some intermediate
vector format like SVG, that's fine as long as dimensions are preserved.

I know it can be done by hand in AutoCAD or Solidworks, but I'd really
like to have an automated approach since this process is going to be
repeated many, many times.

Thanks,
Aaron