[PythonCAD] slicing up a 2D dxf

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 10:07:38 CEST 2009

# from Aaron Hoover
# on Wednesday 22 July 2009 17:55:

>I have a large dxf file (eg. 16"x12") that I'd like to break up into a
>   series of "tile" dxf files (eg. 3in x 3in) due to some limitations
> of the machine tool I'll be using to cut out the parts. Ideally, I'd
> like to be able to this using Python - can anyone recommend an
> approach to tackling this problem?

Hi Aaron,

You might have some luck using vectorsection for this, depending on what
sort of entities are in your dxf and whether dxf2rzp supports them yet.
The rzp format should be pretty easy to deal with in Python (you just
need a yaml library to get at the data structure.)  There's no rzp2dxf
yet, but you could format the output dxf directly once you've gotten
your entities cropped.

--Eric
--
Speak softly and carry a big carrot.