[PythonCAD] Post R36 plans

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Fri May 25 01:06:43 CEST 2007

# from Art Haas
# on Thursday 24 May 2007 11:59 am:

>One thing I want to do, and I've said it before, is to replace the
>centralized Subversion repository with a distributed SCM.

I have some doubts that this will make that big of a difference to
contributors.  Maybe there are a lot of people lurking here that will
tell you differently, but svk already runs everywhere without you
making changes to the repository, so if developers are being held back
by the centralized SCM they should have figured out svk by now.

As for "patch latency" -- if indiscriminantly handing out commit bits
for the branches/ dir doesn't do the trick, git won't either.

Casual developers in general don't typically have a great grasp of SCM
anyway.

That's just my take on it.  I think SCM is fairly minor among the number
of factors in open-source community building.

While there's no science to it, I think the time/money, skill, and
motivation factors are more significant.  What is the barrier-to-entry
for developers and what audience (i.e. profession) are they in?

--Eric
--
We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals.
--Quarry worker's creed