[PythonCAD] components?

Art Haas ahaas at airmail.net
Wed Jun 7 18:19:32 CEST 2006

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 11:31:53AM -0400, Russ Nelson wrote:
> Is there a way to create components in PythonCAD?  There are two ways
> components might work: held together as a set of objects, or inserted
> into a drawing as unaggregated objects.  The latter is already
> implementable using cut and paste.  Load up a component's drawing in a
> File/New window, select the entire thing, Edit/Copy, go back to the
> first drawing, and paste.
>
> The trouble with smashing components is that if you need to change the
> component, you need to go back and change it everywhere it was used.
>
> The trouble with keeping component objects together is that you need
> to treat it like a single object, with its own transformation matrix
> (translation / mirroring / rotation).  Ugh.

Currently there is nothing in PythonCAD for making components. The
closest entity I can envision is the long-stalled Hatch entity, as it
will be defined as a list of boundary entities defining the exterior
and any possible interior edges. I haven't worked on implementing
hatching in a while as my last attempts ended without any measurable
progress. Grrrr  ...

Art Haas