[PythonCAD] Next rev of PythonCAD class diagram, and more questions

Stuart Brorson sdb at cloud9.net
Wed Oct 19 21:16:01 CEST 2005

Hi --

I have been continuing to study PythonCAD so that I can make more
changes/improvements.  To this end I have added more stuff to my pseudo-UML
class diagram.  Please find a .pdf copy of the diagram attached.  If anybody
wants the original Dia file, let me know and I will post it.

Art -- Does the class diagram look correct to you?

Now for a couple of questions:

*  I upgraded my installation of Python to 2.4.2 in order to get rid of an XML
problem when reading files. Now, however, I get this error message when trying
to read in a PythonCAD file:

[sdb at Fermat pythoncad-sdb-20051016]$ gtkpycad.py Test.xml.gz
Opening 'Test.xml.gz'
SDB debug -- initialized another GTKImage class instance. . .
SDB debug -- Created another instance of Entity class!
SDB debug -- Created another instance of Entity class!
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/geda/bin/gtkpycad.py", line 350, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/local/geda/bin/gtkpycad.py", line 307, in main
    _image = GTKImage()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PythonCAD/Interface/Gtk/gtkimage.py",
line 334, in __init__
    super(GTKImage, self).__init__()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PythonCAD/Generic/image.py", line 143,
in __init__
    add_defaults(self)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PythonCAD/Generic/image.py", line 1948,
in add_defaults
    image.setOption('DIM_STYLE', _ds)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PythonCAD/Interface/Gtk/gtkimage.py",
line 606, in setOption
    super(GTKImage, self).setOption(key, value)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PythonCAD/Generic/image.py", line 1587,
in setOption
    if value != _gval: _set = True
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PythonCAD/Generic/dimension.py", line
2228, in __ne__
    return not self == obj
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PythonCAD/Generic/dimension.py", line
2201, in __eq__
    for _key in Dimstyle.__defaults.keys():
NameError: global name 'Dimstyle' is not defined

Any ideas about what's wrong?  I will look at this myself later, but perhaps one
of the gurus here already knows about this.

*  Art -- further to the point of highlighting selected objects:  What are your
thoughts on using signals to tell objects to highlight?  I guess that if you
could write a couple of sentences giving an example how signaling accomplishes
actions in PythonCAD (for example, how signaling works when moving an object)
then that would help me understand how this should work.  I *did* read the
documentation you pointed me to, BTW, but still need a little more insight into
how it works in PythonCAD.  Thanks!

*  Finally, any progress on the patches I sent in?  I'm just curious, not trying
to be pushy!  Let me know if I can do anything to help!

Stuart