[PythonCAD] debian install fails sys.path test

Floris Bruynooghe fb102 at soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 6 21:42:43 CET 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 02:12:00PM -0600, John Griessen wrote:

> PythonCAD is partially functioning, and I'd like to try it for real.

Have you ever tried running the exacutable?

> /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/PythonCAD
> [..., '/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages', ...]
> >>>

> no pythonCAD in the list.

(I cut out the not-important bits here)

You obviouly have no idea how packages in python work.  Since
there is a diretory PythonCAD which lives _inside_ the diretory
.../site-packages AND contains a __init__.py file the package
PythonCAD is reachable from within python.  Try 'import
PythonCAD' to see proof of this.

Normally there is also a launching program installed so you only
have to type 'pythoncad' at your promt.  And I recon this is all
you'll ever want since that application is responsible for
getting PythonCAD imported and executed.

Btw, Debian has a package for PythonCAD.  And surprisingly it's
called 'pythoncad' so just an 'apt-get install pythoncad' should
give you all you wish.

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The power of freedom