[PythonCAD] PythonCAD now can print!

Art Haas ahaas at airmail.net
Mon Sep 27 22:39:03 CEST 2004

The latest code in the repo has replaced the temporary hard-coded print
values with a simple dialog box that allows you to select various
options like paper size, printing in landscape mode, and printing in
color. At the bottom of the dialog are two entry boxes that allow you to
either print to a filename of your choice (you have to enter the name in
the entry box), or send the print to a printer (the entry box has "lp"
as the default print command). If you send the file to the printer you
may have to add various options in the entry like the printer name or
possibly an option that tells the printer to print in landscape mode.

The dialog box will be enhanced for the next release. I'd like to add
something like a button which will bring up a FileSelection widget so
that saving to a filename can have some graphical guidance instead of
forcing you to /type/the/filename/in/like/this.

I need to get in contact with the Zope developers to work out a
namespace conflict that PythonCAD and Zope have, and once that is done
I'll make an official release.

Getting the first printing abilities into PythonCAD is something that
has taken quite some time because printing exposed various weaknesses in
some of the program classes. A known printing shortcoming is the lack of
printing the dimension endpoint markers like arrowheads or slashes, and
that should be fixed in release after the one coming up. Also, if you
try to print a drawing with fonts not found in the printer, the print
will most likely fail or at the very least look incorrect. Anyone with
some PostScript experience out there who can make suggestions for
addressing this?

Try out the new printing code and let me know what you think!

Art