FW: [PythonCAD] svg export and more

Eric Wilhelm ewilhelm at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 3 00:22:15 CEST 2004

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Somerlot, Chris
# on Friday 02 July 2004 03:56 pm:

>Are you including SVG as a printing language? I was only considering it
>as a means of publishing drawings to the web. I'm starting to think that
>exporting as flash, like openoffice does, would be more supported
>though. Any thoughts on this?

If you haven't seen this, maybe take a look:
http://ericwilhelm.homeip.net/uber-converter/

For discussion, see the recent archives from the cad-linux-dev mailing list.
If you want to irc about it, get on #cadfs of irc.freenode.net

There is not anything actually in existence yet, (that's why I need
programmers to get interested in it.)

Well, the CAD::Drawing perl module is in existence and the IO::*
infrastructure more or less acts as a model for the hub-spoke file conversion
concept.  Given a pythoncad reader backend and an svg writer backend, you
could get to svg very easily.

The benefit of this scheme is that you write one pythoncad converter, one svg
converter, one postscript converter, one dxf converter.  Given those four
spokes, you get the following combinations:

dxf<->ps
dxf<->svg
dxf<->pycad
pycad<->svg
svg->ps
pycad->ps

Art:  consider this last one as your "printing".

--Eric
--
"Cleanliness is next to impossible."
                                        --Unknown