FW: [PythonCAD] printing

Somerlot, Chris CSomerlot at Brwncald.com
Fri Jul 2 22:51:02 CEST 2004

> > Any plans to support multiple layouts?  Multiple views in
> one layout?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here with 'multiple layouts'. Does
> this mean that the printed file contains various views of
> some objects?

When I do multiple layouts, it is one view of the drawing with a layout
for 11x17, D-size sheet, E-size, etc. In Autocad (2004 and up) each
layout is a separate tab.

> > How about this idea.  If any pythoncad file could be converted to a
> > postscript (preferably via command line (e.g. free batch
> plotting:)),
> > then your layouts could just be drawings with instantiations of the
> > model view (such as xrefs or blocks.)
>
> As the files are saved in XML, there is probably some way to
> do this with XSLT. I'll revert to textbook mode here and say
> that the code to do this is left as an example for the reader
> to create.

Thinking about this, embedding one pythoncad drawing in another via a
link would be similar to inserting a raster image, so why not just have
one embedding function and the user gets to pick from a jpeg aerial
photo or another pythoncad drawing? You would only need the ability to
scale and clip to a window, and it should be embedded on its own layer
to be able to turn it on and off. And then all of a sudden pythoncad is
a GIS too :)

> > I'm not particularly fond of autocad's multi-layout-tabs
> and its habit
> > of
> > storing all of your layouts in the same file with your
> model.

I totally agree. What really sucks is when the symbols you drew for a
E-size sheet come out tiny and illegible on an 8.5x11.