[PythonCAD] dwgbase.py wins

Eric Wilhelm ewilhelm at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 23 07:50:07 EST 2004

I've been messing with the idea of a perl binding to the dime dxf library for
a few days now.  I've been looking for a way to get a GPL'd dwg/dxf backend
into CAD::Drawing (currently using the *penDWG library.)

So, after this brief tour of C++ and an even briefer tour of python, it looks
like I'll be better off to work on the fine python library that Art has so
kindly cooked-up for us.

As strike one, there is the fact that the Dime library does not support any
sort of text objects.  Strike two is that C++ is boringly stiff.

So, since we aren't playing baseball, I've decided to focus on learning python
and finding my way around the dwg library.

Art,

Is there any formal documentation for the dwg*.py modules besides that which
is inline in the source? Would you like some more?

Is there any sort of test suite set-up?  Should I write one?

How about sample usage scripts?

Also, can you summarize the current status of its capabilities?  (e.g.
read/write dxf/dwg)

--Eric
--
"It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize that you are in a
hurry."