[PythonCAD] Looking for DXF help

Steve Hall digitect at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 10 18:44:19 EST 2004

From: Art Haas, Feb 10, 2004 2:13 PM
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 12:01:27PM -0500, Vic Kelson wrote:
> >
> > I am in need of code for writing DXF or DWG files from Python... I
> > can of course write DXF files "by hand", but I'd really rather use
> > a library if one exists.
>
> As for handling DWG and DXF files, there is code in PythonCAD for
> reading these formats, but no code for writing them.

Vic, if you do any research on this could you please post your
findings back here? I have a GPL [expensive, proprietary]CAD script
project that is getting ready to release, and it will maintain links
to the tons of helpful GPL projects I continue to find. (Like
PythonCAD.)

The OpenDWG project is as closed source as it can be, and I don't know
if I've ever found a single clearinghouse for reverse engineering the
.DWG or .DXF doc formats. If Free CAD software is ever going to make a
dent in the market, we need to organize a bit better, and collect
information a bit more centrally.

Thanks.

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect at mindspring.com ]