[PythonCAD] Re: new Perl module CAD::Drawing

Eric Wilhelm ewilhelm at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 17 12:37:24 EDT 2003

> The following was supposedly scribed by
> Wim Kerkhoff
> on Friday 17 October 2003 11:24 am:

> Hi Eric,

> Your CAD::Drawing module looks pretty interesting:

> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythoncad/2003-September/000089.html

> I'd like to do some testing and experimenting with it. We want to
> convert SVG XML created by Flash/ActionScript into DXF using some sort
> of Perl web service, and this looks like it could solve the missing link.

> http://search.cpan.org/src/EWILHELM/CAD-Drawing-0.00/README

> Any targets for something downloadable?

Sorry, not yet.  I'm currently on a development schedule worthy of a royal
hair-pulling.  If you'd be interested in creating an SVG XML I/O backend, I'd
certainly try to get something together asap.

You will need to be able to use the OpenDWG toolkit (cannot distribute it with
the module due to licensing) in order to save/load dwg or dxf files for now.
For this, you'll need a license from the opendwg consortium (free for
internal use, with fees for distribution.)

I plan to eventually have a gpl-compatible dwg/dxf I/O backend using Art's
python library (and there also exists the possibility of doing dxf with the
dime library.)

I've been trying to work out an installation procedure for the Inline.pm -
based toolkit wrapper, since the install could be somewhat hairy right now.

--Eric