[PythonCAD] Re: [cad-linux] Updated DWG reading program

Guy Edwards guy_j_edwards at HotPOP.com
Fri Aug 29 23:07:56 EDT 2003

Sorry I can't email directly as your software blocks me. (see previous email)

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 22:15, Art Haas wrote:
[snip]
> > Also, is this likely to become a DWG read+write library? Please say yes
> > :-)
>
> At some point in time I'd like to be able to write DWG files, but for
> now the challenge is just reading them.

A free DWG lib would be worth its weight in gold x1000. If you want any
xhtml/css, testing or doc work done to help a lib effort, please let me
know as I'd be happy to help.

> I was sent a good test file which exposed numerous bugs in the code, and
> a 'pychecker dwg.py' run flushed out even more. Send me mail if you want
> the latest work-in-progress version to test.

Yes, I'd be happy to test it.

Also if it helps:
Test files:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/lx-viewer/testing/
The small.dwg file is quite complex, it was submitted by a user.

There are approx 14,000 DWG files public at:
ftp.autodesk.com/PointA/GeneralSymbolsCatalog

But beware... there are also ~14,000 DWF files, and with that many files
even a directory listing is 2mb so it takes a while.

also, copied and pasted from the lx-viewer website:

------------------------
Test Files
Free files to download from the internet. If you know of any more, let
us know

      * DWG mapping information files - from 15k fields to 3mb+ maps
        (links to ftp site) http://www.labins.org/dwg.htm
      * some architectural small drawings
        http://www.vngrd.com/downloads.html
      * power supply dwg's http://www.acopian.com/autocad.html
      * technical specs
        http://www.farrar.co.uk/usa/resources/downloads.htm
        http://www.eldoradostone.com/technical/body_techcreative.html
      * door specs http://www.cecodoor.com/dwglib.htm

Guy
http://lx-viewer.sourceforge.net

--
Guy Edwards <guy_j_edwards at HotPOP.com>