[PythonCAD] Data structure question

phrostie pfrostie at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 6 10:18:21 EDT 2003

i know nothing about quadtrees, but did want to ask about the direction and
use.

you commented that "they seem to be commonly used for storing and retrieving
2-D data"  are your plans for pythoncad going to stay 2D or are you planning to
goto a 3D?

> I've looked around for more info on quadtrees, and they seem to be
> commonly used for storing and retrieving 2-D data. The papers I've found
> discuss using these structures for applications that process data for
> mapmaking and similiar large-scale data processing. Quadtrees also seem
> to pop up in image enhancement applications as well.
>
> I haven't been able to find anything Python related to quadtrees though,
> so that is a bit discouraging. FYI, he Vaults of Parnassus link on the
> Python home page has links to various Python web pages with lots of
> example code, modules, and Python tips and techniques, so if you are
> looking for some hints as to how to perform some task with Python, I'd
> suggest browsing the link. Don't go there looking for quadtree info,
> though ...
>
> I'd still like to hear from someone on the list who has any experience
> with quadtrees as I've had no replies to my earlier posting. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Art
> --
> Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities
> the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every
> wind.
>
> -Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822

=====
phrostie
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS
http://www.freelists.org/webpage/cad-linux