[python-win32] Issue with PythonCOM - Application.Run does not work for Access.Application

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Fri Sep 17 12:50:20 EDT 2021

Christoph J. Dorner wrote:

> I need to call Office / VBA applications form a running Python script.
> While calling VBA from Python using Application.Run works with EXCEL, it
> does not work with ACCESS. What I do:
> I link to the Office application via the win32com.client dispatch
> mechanism as usual and I can see the application object in the Python
> debugger.
> If I do an excelapp.Run('xxx") everything is fine.
> If I do an accessapp.Run('xxx") it throws an error -2147352562 which
> win32api.FormatMessage states is an issue with the number of parameters.
> But that cannot be the case as the UDF has no parameter and I do not
> pass any (additional) parameter.

Curious.  Both the Excel "Application.Run" and Access "Application.Run"
methods are defined the same way, with 30 "optional" parameters.  Have
you experimented with specifying a dummy parameter to see if that makes
a difference?

Have you tried using "win32com.client.gencache.EnsureDispatch" instead
of simple "Dispatch"?  That way, it generates and caches a wrapper
file.  It might be possible to peek in the generated file to see if the
wrappers look any different.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com