[python-win32] Dispatching something that requires elevation

Simon McConnell simonmcconnell at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 01:11:27 EDT 2018

Hi,

I am trying to dispatch a COM interface of a program that is set to "Run as
Administrator" in the Compatibility Settings of its properties.  Running
the script w/o elevation results in a 'requires elevation' error.  Running
the script with elevation results in a 'server execution failed' error,
which I understand to be "I can't find that thing".  Removing the "Run as
Administrator" from the Compatibility settings and running the script w/o
elevation works, but unfortunately, this program needs to be run as
administrator.  When opening the program manually I have to accept the UAC
popup and cannot turn it off thanks to Group Policy.  Any clues?

import win32com.client
o = win32com.client.Dispatch("CimplicityME.Application")

gives the error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"C:\Users\smcconnell\PycharmProjects\proficy\venv\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py",
line 89, in _GetGoodDispatch
    IDispatch = pythoncom.connect(IDispatch)
pywintypes.com_error: (-2147221021, 'Operation unavailable', None, None)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\smcconnell\PycharmProjects\proficy\src\proficy.py", line
5, in <module>
    o = win32com.client.Dispatch("CimplicityME.Application")
  File
"C:\Users\smcconnell\PycharmProjects\proficy\venv\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py",
line 95, in Dispatch
    dispatch, userName =
dynamic._GetGoodDispatchAndUserName(dispatch,userName,clsctx)
  File
"C:\Users\smcconnell\PycharmProjects\proficy\venv\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py",
line 114, in _GetGoodDispatchAndUserName
    return (_GetGoodDispatch(IDispatch, clsctx), userName)
  File
"C:\Users\smcconnell\PycharmProjects\proficy\venv\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py",
line 91, in _GetGoodDispatch
    IDispatch = pythoncom.CoCreateInstance(IDispatch, None, clsctx,
pythoncom.IID_IDispatch)
pywintypes.com_error: (-2147024156, 'The requested operation requires
elevation.', None, None)

If I run the script as administrator I get the following error:

[...]

pywintypes.com_error: (-2146959355, 'Server execution failed', None, None)