[python-win32] Using DirectShow API to access webcam

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Fri Aug 17 17:12:57 EDT 2018

Joe wrote:

> thanks for your helpful answer and the explanations.
> Following up on your comment on http://videocapture.sourceforge.net/
> I found that there is jaraco.video, which seems to be
> "a port of the VideoCapture module in pure Python using ctypes and
> comtypes."
> (https://github.com/jaraco/jaraco.video)
>
> It is using a 'DirectShow.tlb' file, whatever that is, to get the
> definitions into comtypes.

A TLB file is a "type library".  It is a compiled version of the IDL for
a set of COM interfaces.  IDL is modified subset of C++ that is used to
declare the functions within a COM interface, their parameters, and
their types.  It is intended to be  a language-independent way to define
the functions within an interface.

Looks like you're on your way.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com