[python-win32] Problem registering COM server at installation time

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon Feb 1 17:24:31 EST 2016

Eryk's reply is right on the money - I'd forgotten about that. IIRC,
having that manifest directly in pythoncomxx.dll or pywintypesxx.dll
ended up using a different activation context, which had its own
problems; that loader module exists purely to work around these problems.

I'm still a bit confused as to why bdist_wininst isn't working for you
when that's the exact same stub used by the pywin32 installer, which
obviously does manage to load Python ok.

(The good-ish news is that later MSVC versions no longer have this
stupid requirement, but that doesn't help the 2.x series)

Mark