[python-win32] Storing Passwords.

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Tue Jan 20 09:26:10 CET 2015

On Jan 19, 2015, at 12:51 PM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> The same problem arises. If the program can get the password
> out of the keyring, then so can any user who is capable of
> running the program. ...
>
> Keyrings allow a user to keep his or her passwords secret
> from *other* users. The OP seems to want to keep the *user*
> of the password from being able to know it, which is
> fundamentally impossible.

Actually, I don’t think that’s correct.  I think he is trying to remotely administer a number of systems, and he just wants to be able to do logins for remote administration without having to retype the authentication every time.  It’s the kind of thing where a Linux user would use ssh with a key forwarding agent.

I started to “pooh pooh” the keyring suggestion as well, and as I was typing my reply I realized it was pretty much the right answer.
—
Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com