[python-win32] Possible memory leak in pywin32

Kapil Dolas kapileyes at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 11:43:21 CET 2015

Hi,

I am using pywin32's mapi module to read data from PSTs. I have shared my
program which reads email and attachment data here
<http://pastebin.com/2AXy3BVH> (http://pastebin.com/2AXy3BVH). Currently,
program is not storing any of the read data. But, still I can see gradual
increase in memory usage when I run the program over large PST. That PST
contains around 9000 emails and it has 9 GB of data. Max size of email is
24 MB only. For this PST, program's initial memory usage is about 10 MB,
but it gradually increases and reaches to 40-45 MB. I don't know why this
memory usage increases up to this value. I have tried using pympler to find
the root cause, but without any success. It appears that memory increase is
not due to python objects. Can you point out the reason behind (gradual)
increase in memory usage? Is it due to the memory leak in pywin32, or any
mistakes in my program?

Regards,
Kapil Dolas