[python-win32] Building Python-2.7.6 for 64bit Windows

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Fri Jan 31 19:47:25 CET 2014

Bharath Ramesh wrote:
> We use numerous third party libraries, one being PyOpenSSL We have
> already rebuilt it with a newer version of OpenSSL. We continue to
> have the same issue. We have some part of the code that make secure
> connection using sockets, I think those end up using the ssl module
> from Python. However, I am not the one who debugged this to be this
> issue on windows

I need to back off of my original assertion, because I was wrong.  The
Python ssl module does use OpenSSL.  I didn't see it doing any imports,
so I assumed it was using something else.

However, it links to it statically, so there shouldn't be any DLL conflicts.

> Another team member who had debugged the windows side of our project.
> Unfortunately, I am no windows expert and he was the one who done the
> initial debugging and come to the conclusion that the issue is with
> regards to multiple OpenSSL dll being loaded into the same address
> space. He is not part of our team any more and I am faced with
> rebuilding all our tools to ensure consistency.

It is not generally possible to load multiple versions of a single DLL
in Windows.  The system loader will satisfy the externals from the
already loaded version.  You certainly can have multiple copies of a
statically linked library, but it's not clear to me how that would cause
any problems.

> I am not subscribed to the list would appreciate if I am copied on the reply.

Then please be sure to cc the list.  And wouldn't it be easier just to
join the list until your issue is resolved?

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com