[python-win32] how to access SHOpenFolderAndSelectItems() by ctypes

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Fri Dec 13 20:05:11 CET 2013

iMath wrote:

> I want to build a cross-platform application ,I used a windows API
> called SHOpenFolderAndSelectItems()
> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb762232%28v=vs.85%29.aspx>.
> Although I found example called it by pywin32,but pywin32 is not
> available on Linux , I don't want to call a Windows API on linux,just
> don't want to make another code version for Linux,so I wonder how to
> access it by ctypes?

Your problem is more fundamental than that.  Your function is trying to
open a "File Explorer", but the whole concept of a File Explorer is a
Windows concept.  The Mac has Finder, but there isn't a standard file
manager app for Linux.  You will have to think about what you are really
trying to do on non-Windows systems.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com