[python-win32] Anti-reverse Python-based binaries?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Feb 10 16:56:21 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012, Harald Armin Massa[legacy] wrote:

> As much as I learned Dropbox took a quite effective approach: reshuffle the
> Python bytecodes, compile your own Python.
>
> Rises the costs of reengeneering quite a bit.

Not enough to make a difference (speaking as someone who works for a
Dropbox competitor -- one of my coworkers spent some time poking through
the Dropbox code).  Also, Dropbox's goal is a bit different because you
can't run the client without Dropbox's server.

At my company, we don't even care enough to put a minimal bit of
protection in -- you need our servers, and our code isn't particularly
clever.

"Do not taunt happy fun for loops. Do not change lists you are looping over."
--Remco Gerlich