[python-win32] New win32com.client.VARIANT object

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Wed Oct 12 03:24:53 CEST 2011

I just pushed a change which introduces a new win32com.client.VARIANT
object.  This object can be used in some situations to control the
specific types passed as parameters to COM objects and should address a
relatively common problem people hit when COM objects are very picky
about the types they accept.

I'm purposely being a little vague in this message about how it works to
encourage people to check out the new documentation and see if it makes
sense and describes how and when it can be useful.  The docs are at
http://pywin32.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/pywin32/pywin32/raw-file/36b16bcc5c9a/com/win32com/HTML/variant.html
(and will obviously be included in the help file in future builds)

If anyone has any general comments or comments on the documentation, I'm
all ears!  I hope to release a new pywin32 within a few weeks with this
feature, but if anyone has a specific usecase they would like to test it
out on, please contact me privately with the version of Python you are
using and I'll make a test build available.

Thanks,