[python-win32] Possible trouble with pywin23-216 on python 3.2

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Sat Mar 5 01:18:47 CET 2011

The Python 3.2 32-bit build was the only one affected and I've uploaded
a 216.1 build for this version only.  It is identical to the 216 builds
except for the build ID and the conversion of all files to py3k syntax.

What went wrong?  I was incorrect the other day about the 32bit and
64bit versions sharing the same .py files - they do share the same
"source" files obviously, but the build process copies them to a
different directory for each build (the "build" directory).  The hacks I
have in the build process for the 2to3 conversion do the conversion
in-place in the build directory - which is error prone.  I'm fairly
confident the problem was that I interrupted the build while 3.2 32-bits
was being generated and while the 2to3 conversion was happening.  When I
restarted the build, the logic which checks if files need copying
determined that the build directory was up-to-date - even though the
py3k conversion process wasn't complete.  As a result, that build
directory was left alone with some pre-converted files.

Sadly, it isn't trivial to fix this in distutils, so I am just going to
need to be more careful when making future releases.  I *usually* am
good about nuking the entire build tree and rebuilding the world before
release, but now that I do that on a VM, a full build takes many hours
to complete.  I took a shortcut and paid the price :)

Cheers,