[python-win32] DVCS options for pywin32

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon Feb 7 23:54:21 CET 2011

I've been quite a laggard with source control for pywin32 - we are still
on CVS and I've been waiting for a sign from above about which dvcs to
move to - and with the current CVS outage at sourceforge and their plan
to end-of-life CVS services, I really need to bite the bullet.

For a while hg was the only option, then bzr and git joined the crowd.
With Python still targeting a move to hg from svn, that seems like the
obvious choice - but I've been a bit unhappy with my hg experiences and
with some of the discussions about how Python's workflow needs to change
to accommodate it.  I initially struggled to get my head around git, but
now that I am becoming more familiar with it I like it alot.  Windows
support for both is currently fairly reasonable - especially if you
don't care too much about "tortoise" style shell integration - which I
don't.  Both hg and git finally seem to have workable options to support
Windows line-endings in files.

Does anyone else in pywin32-land have any opinions about this?  Does
anyone feel strongly one way or another?

Thanks,