[python-win32] win32api: How to send WM_SIZING to a Window

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Sep 30 20:14:16 CEST 2010

 Andreas Holtz wrote:
> I have a program which I can control via COM and Python's win32com.
> This program will visualize a big tree, which gets created by my COM-commands.
> The problem is, that after each modification of the tree (like insert), the program
> refreshes its display area.
>
> Accidentally I discovered when you click on the window of the program
> to change its size, as long as I don't lift the mouse button, the refresh of the display
> area is suspended and the performance of the tree creation increases by factor 10.
>
> So my idea is now to simulate this event.

Most similar COM controls have APIs to suspend drawing while you make
large scale changes.  Sometimes it's called freeze and thaw, sometimes
suspend and resume, sometimes other similar words are used.  Have you
looked carefully through the COM interface to see if there is an
interface like that?

Is this some well-known program?  Perhaps one of us can take a look at
the interface.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com