[python-win32] odbc exceptions

Preston Landers planders at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 18:25:35 CET 2010

That's strange.  I don't get that under Python 2.6.5 and PyWin32 v214. I get
the kind of error one would expect.

>>> try:
...  odbc.odbc("asdf")
... except:
...  raise
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 2, in <module>
dbi.opError: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and
no default driver specified in LOGIN

However when my organization migrated from Python 2.1 using the odbc module
to Python 2.6, we ended up switching to the PyODBC module for various
reasons including enhanced support for different data types and so far we
have been very pleased with that choice.   It did take a bit of work to
change to a slightly different API, and we ran into a couple of relatively
minor corner-case bugs in PyODBC, but since we got those ironed out it has
performed very well.  The PyODBC team also fixed all the issues we reported
to them.  It is compiled C++ code and runs faster than a pure-Python library
would.

http://pyodbc.sourceforge.net/

regards,
Preston