[python-win32] python-win32 Digest - Can't access COM methods

Robert Norman rnorman at acpropulsion.com
Mon Nov 8 18:30:38 CET 2010

Hi Tim,

(I wasn't sure how to target your response in the digest. Hope this
worked out OK.)

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 13:22:04 -0700
> From: Tim Roberts<timr at probo.com>
> To: Python-Win32 List<python-win32 at python.org>
> Subject: Re: [python-win32] Can't access methods of COM object.
>
> Robert Norman wrote:
>> I have been successful in the past using COM from Python to control
>> ActiveX elements such as LabView programs and a few third-party device
>> servers.  I recently tried to integrate a new component  which came with
>> a LabView example and some Visual Basic sample code. The LabView example
>> works for me and I can examine the methods and  properties of the server
>> but I can't seem to do anything with the server from Python.
>>
>> I can successfully get an instance with:
>>
>>   >>>ps = Dispatch("PPServer.PPServerClass")
>> The VB example shows:
>>
>>       Set pps = New PServer
> That's not the same thing.  Is that actually "New PPServerClass"?

When I examine the return object, it is a PPServer not the PPServerClass
but can't find any  way to go the next step.
In previous experience with LabView servers, the Dispatch statement
gives me usable COM objects.

Rob