[python-win32] python 2.5.1 and MSVC++ 2008

Trent Nelson trent at snakebite.org
Thu Jun 3 21:13:46 CEST 2010

On 6/3/2010 2:14 PM, Heather Kelly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I work on a project that still supports 2.5.1 for now (we plan to
> upgrade to 2.6 in the near future).  In the meantime, we are moving
> to MSVC++ 2008 from MSVC++ 2003.  Up to now, we have been using the
> binary distribution of python, but I believe to support MSVC++ 2008,
> we now must build python 2.5.1 ourselves.  Actually, I've already
> built python itself, but I have run into trouble trying to build
> tcl/tk 8.4, which comes with support for MSVC++ 6.
>
> now for my questions..  am I wrong that I need to rebuilt python
> 2.5.1 to fully support our MSVC++ users who only have MSVC++ 2008 on
> their systems?  Could I just provide them a couple specific MSVC++
> 2003 libraries and they'll be fine?
>
> Has anyone else managed to build the tcl/tk with MSVC++ 2008?
>
> Would these troubles disappear if we just upgrade to python 2.6 now?

I'd highly recommend taking that approach.  The compiler toolchain
doesn't change for a m.n release (i.e. 2.5.x, 2.6.x).  If your strongest
requirement is MSVC++ 2008 support, I'd go with 2.6.

> Are there any web pages out there that discuss building python and
> its associated components from scratch?

The buildbots are a good place to start:
http://svn.python.org/projects/python/branches/release26-maint/Tools/buildbot/

The external*.bat scripts in that directory take care of building all
the external dependencies, like Tcl/Tk.  (And from that, you'll be able
to see where we grab Tcl/Tk from (svn.python.org/contrib), and all the
fiddling we had to do to get that building properly with a non-vc6
toolchain).

	Trent.