[python-win32] Getting PyWin32 working with private Python installs

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Tue Apr 20 00:40:47 CEST 2010

Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:

> Mark Hammond <mhammond at skippinet.com.au> wrote:
>
> > On 8/04/2010 12:05 PM, Bill Janssen wrote:
> > > I don't think I've tried that config.  I'll give it a shot.
> > >
> > > [After trying it...]  Nope, that may be necessary, but it's not
> > > sufficient.  I installed Python in a private directory "just for me",
> > > then copied in the pywin32 extensions, then copied the pywin32 DLLs to
> > > the same directory as the manifest and the python26.dll:
> >
> > Does it work when you install "just for me" and then run the standard
> > pywin32 installer?  If so, I guess it at least proves it can be made
> > to work if we chant the correct spells and gives you a baseline to
> > judge your process against...
>
> Just tried this.  The PyWin32 post-install script fails:
>
> $ cat /tmp/pywin32_postinstall.log
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<string>", line 601, in <module>
>   File "<string>", line 311, in install
>   File "<string>", line 149, in LoadSystemModule
> ImportError: DLL load failed: This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
>
> And, if I copy the pywin32 dlls by hand to the right spot, it fails just
> like it did before.
>
> Bill

Mark, I've worked through my other issues, and am ready to get back to
this one when you have time to look at it.  Just to recap:

I'm trying to create an MSI installer for UpLib on Windows that will
include both a private copy of Python and an as-private-as-possible copy
of PyWin32.  Right now, if I install Python privately ("just for me", and
no entries in the registry), I can't get PyWin32 to install or work with
it.

Bill