[python-win32] Using the COM interface of Infinion Memtool

Markus Hubig mhubig at imko.de
Sat Apr 10 17:31:32 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 11:05 PM, Greg Antal <greg.antal at ata-e.com> wrote:

> The beauty of using the early binding file is that you don't have to use
> all that Dispatch syntax because the file does that for you. I don't know
> what you named this file, but let's say you call it "PyMemtool.py". Now your
> code just looks like this:
>
> import PyMemtool
>
> fm = PyMemtool.SMTMemtool()
> fs = fm.GetFlashModByName("MyFM")

Ahh ok yes ... makes sence. I was looking for some documentation and found a
snipplet <http://www.oreilly.de/catalog/pythonwin32/chapter/ch12.html> of
"Python Programming on Win32" by Mark Hammond & Andy Robinson witch states,
I thought, that the early binding files are just some kind of a "cache file"

That should be all you have to do, but looking at your file I think you'll
> also have to add an explicit type cast to the class you want:
>
> fs = PyMemtool.DISMTFlashMod (fs)

OK so I can't make my own FlashMod Object, instead I use the SMTMemtool
Object to create one. But why do the type cast? After the casting the
*fs*object is no longer a "
*CoClassBaseClass*" it's now a "*DispatchBaseClass*", am I right?

Hmm it's not that easy finding good documentation for Python-win32! A lot of
the stuff I found seems to be rather old and maybe outdated ... Is there
some must read documentation about the Python-Win32-COM Stuff out there you
can recommend?

- Markus