[python-win32] Calling random Windows function?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Oct 23 19:00:40 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009, Tim Golden wrote:
> Aahz wrote:
>>
>> I'm just getting into Windows programming for the first time, and I need
>> to list all open files.  Windows has a convenient function for that
>> (NtQuerySystemInformation), but I can't figure out how I am supposed to
>> call it.  I bought of copy of the Win32 book and I can't find anything
>> about accessing random API calls;
>> ctypes.windll.kernel32.NtQuerySystemInformation gives an AttributeError.
>>
>> Where should I be looking to figure this out?
>
> To answer your question slightly obliquely, can I offer you:
>
> http://winsys.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/random/file_handles.py

Wow!  Thanks!  Now that I know more what to look for, I did some
searching and found this post that had no response:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-win32/2009-June/009268.html

Assuming that I only care about monitoring open files within a single
tree, should I be concerned that your code might not return all open
files?

"In the end, outside of spy agencies, people are far too trusting and
willing to help."  --Ira Winkler