[python-win32] win32api documentation

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Fri Oct 9 17:06:08 CEST 2009

J wrote:
> I've been searching high and low looking for any sort of decent
> reference for the win32api in python and I can't find anything that is
> useful.

There isn't much, in spite of a few attempts (my own included)
to get something going. There's never enough time...

Ultimately, the win32api calls *are* wrapping the MSDN calls
almost directly so you just have to dive in, but ...

> So what I'm trying to do for now, is fairly simple.  I just want to be
> able to make a couple calls and get system info like the number of
> processor packages, the number of processor cores, processor flags (if
> possible), free mem, total mem, OS version and a few other tidbits of
> system information.

Here at least I can help. Try using WMI which eats this kind of
thing for breakfast[*]. Start here:

  http://timgolden.me.uk/python/wmi.html

taking in this:

  http://timgolden.me.uk/python/wmi-tutorial.html

and this:

  http://timgolden.me.uk/python/wmi_cookbook.html

and feel free to get back with specifics.

TJG

[*] I hope :)