[python-win32] Talking to the parallel port

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Oct 1 18:34:55 CEST 2009

Tony Cappellini wrote:
> Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com <mailto:timr at probo.com>> wrote:
>
> >>Why would you expect any updates?  The technology behind the parallel
> >>port has not changed since 1994.
> It's not about the technology changing.
> But people do add improvments to python packages over time, and
> release newer/better packages.

Yes, and I apologize if I seemed curt.  You happened to touch on a pet
peeve of mine.

In the Windows world, people complain and moan about Microsoft releasing
continual updates of their software with obscure and relatively trivial
additional features, so much so that I suspect many of the developers
within the sound of my voice are still using Office 2003 (now 7 years
old) and Visual C++ 6.0 (now an incredible 11 years old).

But in the open source world, if a product goes for 12 months without a
significant update, people start asking, "Is this product dead?  Should
I use something else?"  There does come a point in the life of every
piece of software where the product is DONE, when it does what it was
supposed to do.  After that point, additional updates are just pointless
eye candy.

Now in the case of pyparallel, that's not fair of me.  It is clear there
are additional useful features that could have been added, like EPP and
ECP support.  So, you were right to ask, and I'm just monologuing.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com