[python-win32] Python Windows MSI installs now fails with error 2755...

J. Marc Edwards jmarcedwards at gmail.com
Sun May 3 22:15:01 CEST 2009

I am a new Python user.  I was experimenting with a variety of Python
versions on Windows XP, e.g. 2.6.2, 3.0.1, ActiveState 2.6.2/3.0.1, etc.

I then also wanted to start using iPython, which I also installed on my
Windows XP system.

I am also an emacs user, so I was trying to get the Python pdb debugger to
work with emacs, but I was having problems that seemed to point to having
multiple Python versions on my system.

So, I wanted to then "clean" my system up from all the Python versions.

After removing all of my Python versions, I then tried to re-install just
Python 2.6.2.

However, I am now receiving an error message from the Windows MSI installer
that says:

"The system cannot open the device or file specified."

And then a windowed message:

"The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package.
This may indicate a problem with this package.  The error code is 2755."

Now I can't install any of the previous Python packages on my Windows
laptop.

I have tried researching this on the Internet, and it seems to indicate a
Windows registry error point to an incomplete uninstall of an application,
notably the previous Python versions that I had on my system.

Does anyone know how I could clean up the registry so that I can
successfully reinstall Python?

Many thanks in advance, Marc