[python-win32] Merge of py3k branch complete!

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Wed Jan 28 14:34:52 CET 2009

Hi all,
  I'm very happy to declare the merge of Roger's py3k branch 'complete' - by
which I mean all changes have been merged, and comparing the py3k branch
with the trunk after running 2to3 yields identical trees except in a few
insignificant directories - and it works :)  Work still remains to be done,
but it will now all be done on the trunk (so the branch should be considered
closed.)  I've created a tag on the trunk named 'py3k-merge-complete' to
mark this spot.

I'd like to express my extreme gratitude to Roger, without whom this py3k
work would never have started in the first place.  I'd also like to thank
Jason and Vern who helped me out with the win32timezone and adodbapi modules
respectively.

In honour of this, I've made preliminary builds for all supported Python
versions available; while they work well for me, they should be treated as
alpha quality.  I've some more docs to write and some finishing touches on
adodbapi to discuss with Vern before I make a *real* release (which I will
still declare beta quality).  Use at your own risk - but you've probably got
nothing much to lose if you are waiting to try out the Python 3.0 version!
Further warning: I've only actually tested the installers for the 32bit 2.6
build and the 32 and 64bit 3.0 builds - but I expect all others to work too.
I've also applied some recent patches to distutils which should prevent
strange "application configuration" errors starting the 2.6 installers, so
if you have had such problems in the past, I'd like to know if they are
fixed in this build.  The CHANGES and py3k notes in the .chm documentation
are fairly accurate, if a little terse.

The files are at http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/downloads and the
names are:

* pywin32-212.6.win-amd64-py2.6.exe