[python-win32] Setting a netboot within windows OS

Vernon Cole vernondcole at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 19:21:05 CET 2009

Gowtham:
   I waited before giving this answer, to let the real Windows Gurus answer
first.  Tims pronouncement is as good is it gets, so here is my hair-brained
idea.  Perhaps it would actually work.

As much as I hate to admit this on a Windows mailing list ...
When I have multi-boot things to accomplish, I install a copy of Linux and
use GRUB to do the fancy boot stuff.

If you want to modify the boot control file from Windows, try:
  1) Install Ubuntu in a small (10MB) dedicated partition. (The Ubuntu
installer will modify the partition table for you, slide the NTFS as needed
and install GRUB for multi-boot.)
     Use the manual partitioning option to make sure you are using an ext3
(not ext4) file system for '/'.
  2) Download and install on your Windows system the ext2 file system
package from sourceforge.
  3) Mount your '/' partition, go to /boot/grub
  4) make a handy Python script to edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg to do the boot
you need.
--
Vernon