[python-win32] python vs vbs with parental controls (security issue?)

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Thu Dec 17 19:26:00 CET 2009

Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 14:51 +0000, Tim Golden wrote:
>> Ross Boylan wrote:
>>> I've encountered a glitch: I can't seem to update the values in the
>>> rules I retrieve.  The relevant snippet is
>>> <python>
>>> con = wmi.WMI(namespace=wpcns)
>>> rules = con.WpcURLOverride (Sid=kelsey.SID)
>>> for r in rules:
>>>     if r.URL.endswith("facebook.com/"):
>>>         # flip whether or not the site is allowed
>>>         r.Allowed = 3 - r.Allowed
>>>         r.Put_()
>>>         print r.URL, r.Allowed, "(%s)"%allowInterp(r.Allowed), kelsey.name
>>> </python>
>>> This never changes the value of Allowed, even between the line where it
>>> is set and printed out, much less between runs.
>>
>> Just occurs to me: there was a bug in versions < 1.4.6 which would have
>> caused this. Are you using the latest version? (I'll still try to get
>> hold of a Vista/W7 machine to try out on...)
> I was using 1.4.5 (via pypm and ActiveState).  They have version 1.4.6
> now; I installed it.  However, it didn't help.

Curses. Clutching at straws: does wmi.__version__ definitely show "1.4.6"?

> Does anybody know which package wins if I install wmi manually?

I don't use pypm so don't know how much messing it does with
sys.path (which is what would presumably make the difference...)

> BTW, the title of your web page
> http://timgolden.me.uk/python/wmi/index.html (as shown in browser frame)
> still says 1.4.5.

Thanks. My Sphinx build had got out of sync. Fixed now.

TJG