[python-win32] Interacting with the desktop as a service on Vista

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Wed Oct 22 16:20:47 CEST 2008

Matt Herbert (matherbe) wrote:
> So I have a service that needs to interact with the desktop on a Vista
> machine. I've read multiple articles about Vista's updated security and
> it's restrictions on services. So I realize that in order for the
> service to interact with desktop, I'm going to need to create a new
> process as a "normal" user, and use some form of IPC between the child
> process and my service to get at the information I need.

Without knowing what the exact problem which you're
encountering, it seems to me that you're probably
fighting the system. I don't use Vista myself but
I seem to remember that the Service security subsystem
has been beefed up to make things like this even harder.

You don't say exactly what your interaction with the
desktop is. Can you not do the usual thing of having
a user run a (possibly systray-ed) app in his userspace
which comminicates with your service via, say, named
pipes (or sockets, or whatever)?

Can you come across with more information, such as
how your service will be interacting with the desktop?

TJG