[python-win32] PythonWin [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Andrew MacIntyre Andrew.MacIntyre at acma.gov.au
Fri Nov 14 01:03:26 CET 2008

> bikash.sherchan at gmail.com wrote:
>
> I am using Windows Vista and installed python 2.6. I am working on my
> masters thesis and would like to write python scripts to automize some

> tools in ArcGIS. To do so I am following "Writing Geoprocessing
> Scripts with ArcGIS" from ESRI which is based on pythonWin.
> Unfortunately I could not find this pythonWin environment in my case.

Given your interest in ArcGIS, I would strongly suggest checking the
ArcGIS installation materials for the version you are using to determine
the Python version supported with that ArcGIS release.  ESRI may supply
a PythonWin installer (I'm pretty sure they supply a Python installer).

Python extensions, such as the extension ESRI supplies to interface with
ArcGIS, usually have a dependency on the particular version of the
Python DLL in the Windows environment (eg Python 2.5.x -> python25.dll).

If the ArcGIS media kit doesn't contain PythonWin, you can retrieve a
copy of the PythonWin installer to match the Python version via
PythonWin's home page: http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/

-------------------------> "These thoughts are mine alone!" <---------
Andrew MacIntyre           National Licensing and Allocations Branch
tel:   +61 2 6219 5356     Inputs to Industry Division
fax:   +61 2 6253 3277     Australian Communications & Media Authority
email: andrew.macintyre at acma.gov.au

If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the email and any attachments to it. The information contained in this email and any attachments may be private, confidential and legally privileged or the subject of copyright. If you are not the addressee it may be illegal to review, disclose, use, forward, or distribute this email and/or its contents.

Unless otherwise specified, the information in the email and any attachments is intended as a guide only and should not be relied upon as legal or technical advice or regarded as a substitute for legal or technical advice in individual cases. Opinions contained in this email or any of its attachments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of ACMA.