[python-win32] excelRTDServer demo not working

Christopher Nilsson chris at slort.org
Sun Mar 16 23:34:32 CET 2008

On 14/03/2008, Kevin O'Connor <kevin at koconnor.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 01:46:16PM +1100, Christopher Nilsson wrote:
>  > It's been ages since I looked at this, but you need to make sure the
>  > constants at the top of the module match your version of excel. The
>  > ones that are currently there are for Excel XP (which is the one
>  > before the version you're using, I believe):
>  >
>  > EXCEL_TLB_GUID = '{00020813-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}'
>  > EXCEL_TLB_LCID = 0
>  > EXCEL_TLB_MAJOR = 1
>  > EXCEL_TLB_MINOR = 4
>

> Hi Chris,
>
>  The Python COM browser shows the same GUID for the excel type
>  libraries.  It does report 'Microsoft Excel 11.0 Object Library'
>  instead of 'version 10' which is referenced in the code.  However, if
>  I change the MAJOR to 2, I can't register the class at all (it reports
>  a library not registered error).  I can change the minor (eg, to 5 but
>  it still doesn't work).
>
>  Any ideas where I could get the actual numbers from?
>
>  Thanks again,
>
> -Kevin

Hey Kevin,

There are a few ways, on how to grab these numbers, written up over at:

http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/IncludingTypelibs

As suggested there, you can try running makepy.  eg:

"%PYTHON_HOME%\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\makepy.py -i"

Then just pick the correct typelib from the list (ie. the "Microsoft
Excel 11.0 Object Library" you found).

If I had it installed, I could tell you now. :)  Let me know how you go.

Cheers,
Chris.