[python-win32] Iron Python and Visual Basic 2005 (or 2008) Express

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Mar 5 18:16:49 CET 2008

Dick Moores wrote:
> At 03:57 PM 3/4/2008, Tim Roberts wrote:
>>
>> Delphi is the grown-up version of Borland's Object Pascal.  Think of it
>> as Visual Studio for Pascal.  It was a very cool product, with a great
>> IDE and a wonderful class library for writing GUI apps.  I was a
>> steadfast Delphi zealot from versions 1 through 5, but when I got hooked
>> on Python I drifted away, and I haven't looked back.
>>
>> Delphi doesn't come with Python in the box, but it's very easy to add
>> packages, and there are lots of places to download them.  Essentially
>> one DLL gives you a Python engine within your Delphi application.
>
> So is this the Delphi you are talking about?:
> <http://www.codegear.com/products/radstudio>

Delphi was originally developed by Borland, which later changed its name
to Inprise or something equally banal, then back to Borland when they
realized their mistake.  They have now spun off all of their great
development tools to this separate business, CodeGear.

Delphi has morphed quite a bit since I last played with it, but the
Delphi for Win32, Delphi for PHP, and RAD Studio products certainly
appear to be children and grandchildren of the product I knew.  There
was also a Delphi for Linux, but I don't see that any more.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com