[python-win32] How Do You Make Your Speech or SAPI 5Voices Portable?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Jun 26 23:02:39 CEST 2008

FT wrote:
>     Yes, I am new to this and that example is a good one, but I noticed that
> my computer did in fact have the dll, and was not loaded, so why? Well,
> py2exe had to be forced to loaded them into the directory from mine, thus my
> directory path is that path and was my example

Hmmm, yes, I responded without fully realizing what you were doing.  You
should be able to get py2exe to load those DLLs from their original
locations, as long as it can figure out you need them.

>     The real issue was my desire to find out how voices from my computer can
> be loaded and sent along with my package. So I would need your expertise on
> that, for you gave a nice example for the search path, now I would need to
> know how py2exe can be told to load voice engines and zip them up with the
> program and function at the user end. I have been told about a GUI2EXE but
> when downloading that it says it is corrupted. INNO was mentioned as well,
> so how would a person package into the final exe to also run the voices if
> the other users  computer does not have any tts engine installed?

Well, with py2exe, you can certainly load additional files into your
zip.  In your "setup.py" file, one of the parameters to the setup()
function is "data_files", which is a list of files to be packed into the
zip.  Perhaps you could add a quick check at the beginning of your
script that checks for the presence of a speech engine, and runs the
installer if it isn't there.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com