[python-win32] P3K?

Roger Upole rwupole at msn.com
Fri Jun 20 09:32:02 CEST 2008

Vernon Cole wrote:
>I vote FOR dropping 2.3 and earlier support and moving to 2.6 / 3.0 syntax
> as soon as possible.
>
> My reasons for this are selfish... adodbapi is already restricted to 2.3
> and
> later, since it uses decimal numbers to return SQL data from some numeric
> columns. ;-)
>
> Archives of older releases of pywin are kept on sourceforge for those
> precious few who are locked into an older python version.
>

> Onward and upward, I say!

Building for Python 3 is going to take a lot of work.  There are many
incompatible changes to the C api (and I'm not even sure they're
guaranteed not to change again before the next release).
The basic layout of python objects has been revised, which will
make it very difficult to continue to build from the same sources,
as can be done now for 2.2-2.6.  Also, the buffer interface has
changed drastically, and Pywin32 makes extensive use of buffers.

As things stand right now, upward is a steep climb.
Dropping 2.3 doesn't really gain us much while we're still
supporting 2.5, which is still the most recent stable release.
Python 2.6 may be useful for transitioning the python code
toward 3.0, but it doesn't help with the C++ sources.

           Roger