[python-win32] parameters got changed after passing to a function through COM

Chen Huang chuang at rim.com
Thu Jan 31 23:27:08 CET 2008

Hello all,

I am experiencing a weird problem when using third-party software
through COM. There is an API function X belongs to Object A from that
third-party software. I use python generated COM interface and use
dispatch to get that Object A. Then I call that function X in python.
The function X requires an unsigned integer N as a parameter along with
2 other parameters. But for some reason, the parameter N got changed
after it's going through COM, it's changed to 0xFFFFFFFF. I printed the
parameter before calling that function X in python and the function in
third-party print out the initial parameter it receives. These two
print-outs are different. I also experienced with other Object in that
third-party software. The problem doesn't exist in other object or other
functions in object A.

Does anyone have any idea of what went wrong here? I don't know if the
problem lies in my part of python program or in the python win32com or
in the third-party COM support.

Thank you very much!

Chen